Then I know the place to go!
For a while now, I’ve been maintaining a list of User Groups that meet in my part of the world – TX, OK, LA and AR. It’s not a comprehensive list (at least I’m pretty sure it’s not) but I’d like it to be. It’s essentially a listing of all the user groups I know about, or have heard rumors about that I can find online in my four-state area. Not to be confused with Community Megaphone, this site is not about events or meetings – it’s about groups. And, it’s not just about .NET groups – it’s about any technical community user group that meets. There are .NET/Microsoft-friendly groups for sure, but also Linux groups, PHP groups, Node.JS groups, iOS groups, Android groups and others too.
Where do you find it?
Current features include:
- Monthly calendar of events showing all user groups
- Listing of all user groups, by state
- Details on each user group including meeting location w/ map, upcoming meeting dates/times, group contact and recurring schedule information
- Map of all user groups
Planned features include:
- API for querying groups
- iCal support for one group, some groups, or all groups
- Blog/Website badges for one group, some groups, or all groups
- Support for more complex meeting schedules
- Integration with CommunityMegaphone (presuming I can do some sort of match on user group name, or something)
Apart from these features, and a bit of a face-lift, the new site needs more data! If you know about any groups in your area that are NOT on my list, please drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org with at least the following info:
- Group Name
- Meeting Day (e.g. 3rd Monday, or 2nd Thursday)
- Meeting Times (start/stop)
- Contact Name / Email
- Meeting Location Name & Address (+phone, if you have it).
Me and my crack team of data entry clerks (a.k.a. my daughter) will get this information posted just as fast as we can. Also, if you see any data errors, especially meeting times/nights – please also let me know that ASAP and I’ll get that fixed up.
Lastly, if you’re interested in helping out with any of the planned changes, or making it look more pleasing than the default template from MVC 4, I’d love to get your help…